November 15, 2008

My Favorite Dessert

Nothing is better than delicious, homemade shortbread with a little drizzle of melted chocolate and a cup of cocoa for dipping. To my detriment and delight, this recipe makes a full cookie sheet of shortbread. My mouth says yum..... and my figure says no!

I begged my friend for this recipe after tasting it once at bookclub and I believe it is her Scottish grandmother's recipe. Authentic. It makes me like it even more.

Nan's Shortbread

1 lb. real butter, softened (yes, FOUR sticks!)
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 cups of flour

Mix first four ingredients for about 5 minutes until whipped. Add flour one cup at a time, beating for 2-3 minutes each time.
Butter cookie sheet (with sides) and add wax paper to bottom of pan. Spoon mixture onto pan and smooth out. Add another piece of wax paper on top of dough and use a rolling pin to roll out until smooth and even on edges. Pull top layer of wax paper off slowly. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
Take out of oven and cut dough into desired amount of bars. Prick each bar with a fork a couple of times and return to oven. Bake for an additional 13 minutes or until golden brown on edges.
Cool for 20 minutes in pan. Cut bars again and remove from pan.

Enjoy and bake with caution, this stuff is just too good to sit in your house for long!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails