July 3, 2012

Lego Number Cake

Our friend, David, was turning 6 and wanted a Lego Cake.  We got to work.

Start off with two sheet cakes.  I used jelly roll pans and it worked out great.

While the cakes are baking, make yourself a pattern for cutting.  I measured my cake pan, cut a piece of butcher paper to that size, and then made a grid using a ruler.

I didn't measure things out exactly, I just used the width of my ruler as my guide.  I like to cut corners like that.

Frost one of your cakes.

Flip the other cake on top of the frosted one.  Hopefully you used flour or a lot of cooking spray to keep your cake from sticking.  Not too bad.

Place template on top of cake.

Cut with a serrated knife. Clean up edges a bit if needed.

Frost.

I did big dollops, just eyeballing where to place them for the little Lego "teeth".  What are they really called?

Flatten dollops with your finger dipped in a little cornstarch.  Excess cornstarch will eventually fade or can be brushed off carefully.

I added the Lego words onto the teeth.  I like to be authentic when possible.

Made a sign.  I didn't put it in the cake until it was at the party.

Lego cake complete.  Took an hour or less after baking and cooling time.  Any single digit would look really good.  I may be using this idea in the future, as we still have some Lego lovers at our house too.

Happy Birthday David!

1 comment:

Amy said...

what size jelly roll pans did you use and was it one box of cake mix per pan? thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails