October 17, 2012

Book Review: The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

The DovekeepersThe Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The stories of four women during the Masada massacre in 70 C.E.  According to history, only two women and five children survived the Roman attack.  This is a fictional story from the Dovekeepers' point of view of how the events leading up to that horrific day took place.

I liked the descriptions and some of the relationships between characters.  I had a hard time connecting with any of the women though, they just didn't seem like real people to me.  It was graphic at times and littered with scenes of these "bold, resourceful, and sensuous" women in situations I just simply could not believe, at that time period, they would have acted that way.  It was almost like the author took the ideal modern version of today's woman and threw her into the 70 C.E. world.  I can see some of them being bold in life threatening situations and definitely resourceful... you had to be back then to survive.  The sensuous vibe was just too much, not realistic at all and created a disconnect with me as a reader.  It made the characters more fictional to me than real life.

I did enjoy the cultural references, descriptions were vivid and clear, and there were a few aspects of the story that I really enjoyed. 2.5 stars, not really interested in reading more from this author unless I get a recommendation from a friend.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails