September 16, 2012

Book Review: The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

The Vanishing GameThe Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Wow, this book really has me torn, but I'm going with the lower star rating because I thought the ending was just so ridiculous that I may have exclaimed out loud, "You have got to be kidding me!  That is the lamest ending EVER!"  I shouldn't say it was the "ending" that was the bad part.  The last chapter of the book was pretty good, but it was the final clue to solving the entire mystery that was so ridiculous.  Sorry, didn't work for me and I can't say more without spoiling it for everyone.  I'm sure there are plenty that disagree, but it just didn't add up at all in my mind.

Jocelyn's twin brother was recently killed and she is devastated.  Suddenly, she starts receiving communication from him, in a way that only she and Jack knew about.  Did her brother fake his own death?  Jocelyn must know the truth.  She is led down memory lane of her and Jack's crazy and sometimes horrific childhood through the foster care system, making her way through each stop by clues that Jack has supposedly left for her to find.  With the help of their childhood friend, Noah, can Jocelyn solve the mystery and find Jack at last?  

Read it for yourself to see if you agree with me on the mystery of Jack's disappearance.  The writing was good and the story moved along.  Some of their childhood memories were a bit much for me, so many sad things happened to them!  I did enjoy the puzzles that Jocelyn and Noah had to solve, some were pretty clever.  That was probably the only thing that really saved me from completely hating the book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails