February 15, 2012

Exercise is the key....I hate that.

I'm finally getting around to posting about my newest adventure.....running.  Well, let's be honest.  It's more of a shuffle/jog/waddle thing right now.  My friend and I are going to run a 5k this year.  I haven't run a mile since my high school sophomore PE class.  I HATE running, in fact I despise most exercise in general.  Due to me getting old and my crazy, stressed out, sleep deprived schedule (my son with autism doesn't sleep through the night very well), I have started to put on a little pudge in the middle section...and in my thighs....and my upper arms.  Love it.

I eat pretty healthy (always room for improvement though) and I could say no to desserts little more often, but the big hole in my overall health is lack of exercise.  I've joined gyms before, but it doesn't really fit my style or budget right now.  I had been toying with the idea of running and my friend gave me the confidence boost to give it a try.  I started... and not sure if this is for me.  I am 5' 2'' with short stubby legs, not exactly a body built for long distance running.  Frustration.

Then, I read this article, and felt sore motivation to give it a try again.  I started doing the Couch to 5k program, I'm on week 3 and doing well!  I am actually able to do what the program says...so far!  The biggest factor: good music on my iPod to distract me from the distasteful task.  I'm feeling better during the day (after my legs stop feeling like jelly) and I crash at night, so sleepy I can hardly hold my eyes open while brushing my teeth.  Not so great for my late night reading sessions (can't blame my lack of sleep all on my son, I admit), but that's ok.  I'll just have to take a little more time to read each book.  That's what renewals from the library are for, right?

So, I'm writing this all down so I can look this over when I hit my "wall".  Everyone hits one eventually and I want to keep going.  I am running, I've lost 2 pounds, and I need to keep going so I don't make a fool of myself during my upcoming 5k.  AND I've got some really cute clothes in my closet that I would like to wear again....please.

Thanks for indulging me by reading my ramblings.  I'll try to write down updates as they come.  
Short term goal:  run for 30 minutes straight.  Tired just thinking about it.  
Long term goal:  lose 15-20 pounds.  Maybe I'll get brave and post actual weight numbers later...I'm feeling kind of chicken right now, so just know that 15-20 pounds less would be where I was in college, before marriage and kids.  Is that even possible to look/weigh what I did in college after having 3 kids and an actual LIFE (aka stress-ius maximus)?  I've kept 5 pounds of baby weight with each of my pregnancies...and an extra 5 pounds lately, just for fun.  SO fun!

Ok, I'm going to put on my running shoes now.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

You're amazing and a total inspiration to me. I HATE HATE HATE running .. maybe even MORE than you, but I want to give it a go again because I feel so incredibly out of shape. I feel like I couldn't run to my mailbox if I wanted to. I really need to exercise. I wish we could run together .. because it seems like we would do well together .. shuffle/jog/waddle and all. Love it!

Whitney said...

You Rock Britt! I love this program, i never thought I wold run more than the mile I did in High School until a cousin sent this exact article to me after my mom passed away 5 years ago. It turned out to be a huge blessing and stress reliever. I also ran a 5k that spring and felt great. Stick with it, if I can do it, you for sure can! I am excited for you! Oh and I hear you might be coming to visit...maybe I will get to see you if things are not too crazy!

Grammie Star Wars said...

You have a fabulous plan!

Stick to the plan and we will be seeing lots of pictures and goals accomplished.

;.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails