April 12, 2011

Book Review: The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

The Glass CastleThe Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow, this was quite the book.  The true story of the author's childhood growing up with two very unique, and many ways negligent, parents.  This book is hard to read at times.  The amazing thing about it though is despite the horrible situations these kids go through, you somehow still walk away with a strange feeling of hope.  I don't know how to explain it other than it takes a special writer to be able to pull of accounts of so many bad childhood memories and have the reader not feel completely depressed and upset at the end of it.  Not everything in the book is bad.  Like so many things in life, it all depends on your perspective.  This is a fabulous book for a book club discussion, highly recommend it if you are able to stomach some not-so-pleasant situations.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Heather said...

I honestly can't remember when I read this book......it's been probably 3-4 years, but yeah, I really liked it! At times I definitely found myself thinking/wondering, "This is non-fiction!?" Really incredible- but yes, at the same time it's amazing what she did with her life! :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails