My son needed a new quilt for his twin bed. His birthday was coming up, so I gave myself a deadline and got to work. I let him choose a quilt design from my Pinterest page, that way he had some say in the design and I got to make something that I liked. He finally decided on THIS quilt because it reminded him of pixels, like in a video or computer game. That's my boy.
There was a lot of cutting and fiddling with placement, but after that, it all came together really quick. It's basically a patchwork, just with more purpose in placement of the squares.
Trying to decide on design. I made myself a little "key" out of graph paper squares, you can see it just a little bit in the top left corner.
Sorry for the funky pictures, they were cell phone pictures I played around with to post on Instagram. Next time, I'll make sure and get some normal camera shots too.
Quilt top done.
I cut 5 and a 1/2 inch squares, after sewing with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, each square measured 5 inches even.
Pieced together a backing and started quilting with a rainbow quilt thread. I still haven't tried free motion quilting, I'm completely intimidated by it. Maybe I should take a class or something.
He loves his quilt and brings it out in the living room to snuggle in during morning cartoons.