March 14, 2011

Chocolate Silk Pie

photo via Baking Bites

I have received some requests for a dessert that I have made a few times.  This pie has been frequently asked for by my husband's coworkers at company potlucks.  I also recently made it for a friend's birthday and was asked for the recipe.  My amazing cousin (in law) grew up with her mother making this pie at Christmas time.  It was a highly anticipated family tradition, as you will understand once you taste this rich, yummy, and VERY simple to make dessert.

Ingredients:
Crust:
1/4 cup melted butter
25 vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix well and press into 9-inch pie pan.  Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.  Let cool completely.

Filling:
3/4 cup softened butter (no substitutes)
1 cup + 2 T. granulated sugar
2 squares (2 oz.) Baker's unsweetened chocolate, melted
1tsp. vanilla
3 whole eggs

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in an electric mixer.  Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla.  Add one egg and mix at medium speed for 4 minutes.  Repeat with remaining 2 eggs, mixing for 4 minutes after each egg addition.  Pour into pie crust and chill until firm, a few hours at least.

My comments:
1.  You do not need to make the homemade crust, although it is yummy.  A store bought pie shell, baked according to instructions is great too.  I have also bought the ready made graham cracker crusts with positive results (that is my hubby's favorite version).  We have nut allergies in our family, so I have also made the above crust without the pecans.  It was very tasty as well, you may need a little less butter to hold the crumbs together.

2.  My cousin mentioned to me once that this is a very old recipe and was written out by her mother with her older mixer in mind.  Mixers nowadays have a bit more kick to them than her mom's so you may not need to mix it for quite as long in between each egg addition.  I have a standard KitchenAid mixer, nothing fancy.  I beat my first egg for 3-4 minutes and the additional 2 eggs for 2-3 minutes each.  That is plenty for my pie to be well incorporated, light, and fluffy.  

3.  I taste my filling at the end of mixing to test the density and flavor.  You want it rich, creamy, no sugar crystals, and a fluffy texture.  If I had to compare it to anything, I would say it's like whipped cream, soft peak form.

4.  You do need at least a few hours for the pie to set.  It's ready to eat right after you mix it, but it cuts and serves much better when it is chilled for several hours.  The best results are chilling overnight, a good 12+ hours for me.

Hope this helps, it really is one of the easiest pies to make.  If you buy a ready made crust, you don't even need to turn on the oven!  Happy eating everyone.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

yummy, Yummy, YUMMY! We loved it, thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails