July 1, 2012

Angry Birds Cake



We saw this amazing video HERE of an Angry Birds interactive cake.  My birthday boy was smitten and had to have it.  I admit, it looked like a lot of fun, so we went for it.

Started off with a sturdy, wooden board, covered in aluminum foil.  I colored some frosting green for grass and spread a thin layer all over the top.  Sorry for some of the dark pictures.  I did this at night after the kids were in bed.

The building blocks for the cake were frosted chocolate cake pieces and ice blocks from our "Don't Break the Ice" game.

Our wooden logs were Little Debbie Nutty Bars.  Yum.

Instead of making a traditional Angry Birds structure, we decided it would spell out the birthday boy's name.  The "S" was the hardest letter.  I used some strategically placed toothpicks, chocolate frosting, and a prayer...it held!  It actually didn't need the piggies to hold it up, but since we were going to be moving the cake a couple of times, I thought better safe than sorry. 

The "C" had a couple of toothpicks as well.  The rest of the letters just had frosting glue.

A dab of frosting on the bottom held the letters to the board as well.  If you really want a strong hold, use royal icing instead of buttercream.  It hardens really well.

Our Angry Birds and piggies were a combo from an Angry Birds board game and some figures purchased on Amazon.  My kids have played with them every day since the party, worth every penny.

Since I was going to let the kids destroy the cake, we decided to bake some cupcakes for the adults and anyone else who didn't want demolished cake for dessert.  I found the Angry Birds font online and cut out letters in green cardstock with my Silhouette.  Kabob sticks worked great, holding the letters up high so you could see them behind the structure.




The kids and birds won this battle.

Happy Birthday Scott!

Sidenote:  This cake took less than 2 hours from start to finish, plus baking time for the cake pieces.  The guy in the video above made his own ice blocks, birds, and piggies.  I took the easy route by using some non edible things and saved myself hours and hours of work.  This is a big impact cake for minimal effort.  Let me know if any of you make one too!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Whoa! Love it!

Heather said...

Such a good mommy! How do you find the time and energy!?

Related Posts with Thumbnails