July 24, 2012

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Tris and Tobias are trying to make sense of everything that just happened, how their friends and fellow faction members were controlled and what they can do to stop it.  The exciting climax from book one in this series picks up right where the last one left off.  Can Tris and Tobias stop the factions from all out war?  Can they stop their friends (and themselves) from mind control simulations?  Can their love survive the trials ahead?  Can they survive, period?

I was dubious of this book, I am always leery of book #2's in a trilogy, as they have a tendency to be a "filler book" to drag the story out a bit more.  Unfortunately, this was a bit of a filler book for me, BUT I have read much worse #2 books before.  The plot moves along for the most part and mystery slowly starts to unravel as the characters learn more information about the simulations and what it means to be Divergent.  There is plenty of action to keep you going, I think that saves the book from being a complete filler #2.  My biggest problem with this book is Tris and Tobias' relationship development.  They spend a good deal of time arguing about the same stuff over and over and Tris, instead of looking brave, ends up coming off as annoying with her constant death-wish, impulsive plans. 

I know I went into this book with doubts and perhaps that skewed my ability to enjoy it fully, you'll have to be the judge for yourself.  I will read the next book and am interested to see where the author takes the final plot twist in the next book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails